Waldo Baptist Church began in the year 1850 in a location then known as Sycamore Plains, in Pope County, Illinois. Today this is part of the Shawnee National Forest with the only remaining reminders of the Church’s location being the tombstones which marked the graves of the cemetery outside the church. Since that time it held its meetings in a school house, and a Masonic Lodge building which was located across the road from the present location.
In 1977, Waldo Baptist Church voted to build a new sanctuary building at the present location. This building was completed in December of that year and the first service was held on that Christmas Sunday. Since then, God has blessed us with two other buildings, a Family Life Center with commercial kitchen, classrooms, gymnasium, and a youth building used for youth worship and Bible study. We have also added property and an outside pavilion with playground equipment for our children. Because of the grace and goodness of a Mighty God and the faithful service of many wonderful members we stand today as the largest county church in Massac County with modern facilities.